I’m going to use this page to compile information about Kano that you can’t learn from a travel guide.
Hausa language instruction
- Tijani Almajir teaches Hausa at Bayero University, Kano. He can be contacted at almajir02 (at) yahoo (dot) com. You can watch an interview I did with him here.
Blogs that touch on Kano
Excellent reports/books/articles that have large sections on Kano
- International Crisis Group – Northern Nigeria: Background to the Crisis (2010) (pdf)
- Rudolf Gaudio – Allah Made Us: Sexual Outlaws in an Islamic African City (2009)
Places to stay
- Bayero University, Kano Guest House. University Clinic Road, BUK Old Side. About US $30/night for the least expensive room. firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com. Tell: 064 973 731, 0803 456 4432
- Tahir Guest Palace. http://www.tahirguestpalace.com/ This is a nice hotel with 24-hour power and a great internet connection.
- Tahir Guest Palace gym. About 10,000 Naira/month. It has everything you would want at a gym.
Restaurants not in Lonely Planet
- Golden Dragon Restaurant. It has a Lebanese and Chinese menu. On Ahmadu Bello Way, across from Kano State Library
- Fasania Nigeria Ltd. Chinese Restaurant. On Bompai Road, near rotary with Oando gas station.
- Cilantro. Indian Restaurant. 67 Sultan Road, off Ahmadu Bello Way. cilantrorestaurants.com
- The fastest internet connection I have found is at Khaleey Internet Cafe. It’s on Beirut Road. 100 Naira/hour.
- Sani, +234 (0)805 3695 286. Sani is an excellent taxi driver, speaks English, and is very prompt. I am imagine he would also make a great research assistant or fixer.
- The Goethe-Institue (a German cultural organization) has a liaison office in Kano. The entire building is powered with a solar tracking system! In partnership with another group, they offer German language classes. For 1,000 Naira/year you can have access to their cozy reading room with lots of new books in English and German. It’s at 21 Sokoto Road in Nassarawa, close to the Governor’s Hosue Roundabout. www.goethe.de/nigeria, Cell: 0703 163 3996, firstname.lastname@example.org